November 1, 2015 | All Saints' Year B

Wisdom of Solomon 3:1-9
or Isaiah 25:6-9
Psalm 24
Revelation 21:1-6a
John 11:32-44

I am amazed, every year, at the depth and breadth of songs to choose from for this day.

AND (Edited 11/1), can't believe I forgot these TWO that we offered today:

Sand and Water by Beth Nielson Chapman



Ripple by Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter



Here is the playlist from 2012.

This year we will sing a long time Grace favorite, Crossing the Bar. Rani Arbo is a wonder.
I think we've been singing this song at Grace for over 15 years. So very beautiful. Happy and surprised to see SO many choral versions on the Youtube. Here's a very sweet version.



Many a Mumford and Sons song that work. Two that stand out: After the Storm and Timshel.





Lazarus this year. We've decided to sing Rise by Eddie Vedder. Another favorite, here with additional lyrics by Scott Lawrence. 

Such is the way of the world, can never know.
Just where to put all your faith, and how will it grow.
Gonna rise up, burning black holes in dark memories.
Gonna rise up, turning mistakes into gold.

Such is the passage of time, too fast to fold.
Suddenly swallowed by signs, lo and behold.
Gonna rise up and find my direction magnetically.
Gonna rise up and throw down my ace in the hole.

Such are the stories we bring, telling the toll.
Laughter and tears fill the sky, echo below.
Gonna rise up and stand in the light that I cannot see.
Gonna rise up and live all the stories I know.

Such are the songs that we sing, fears to unfold.
Music, like water, wells up, unbending our soul.
Gonna rise up and fly from the tomb that’s been holding me. Gonna rise up and sing myself a new home. 


Two of our high schoolers will sing Sia's Lullaby. More open and abstract then some of the others. I love this song.









Comments