October 14, 2012 | Year B Proper 23

Hello.

Welcome to You Call That Church Music?, a blog dedicated to sharing musical ideas used in worship for congregations following the Revised Common Lectionary. I am the music director at a very creative and active congregation in the Pacific Northwest . I'll share the main themes gleaned from the readings for each week and our musical selections. I'll try to find video and web resources for you to use too. Hope you find it helpful. 

I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
The Season of Homecoming
Overall Theme For the Year: Come Closer

The Readings:
Job 23:1-9, 16-17
Psalm 22:1-10
Hebrews 4: 12-16
Mark 10: 17-31

The Themes: God's presence and give it away, give it away, give it away now.





The Playlist:

Gathering:
Surely the Presence of the Lord, refrain only. By Lanny Wolfe

Processional:
We Cannot Own the Sunlit Sky. Text: Ruth Duck, Tune: How Can I Keep From Singing by Robert Lowry

Gospel:
Ubi Caritas et Amor. Text: Latin, 8th c., Tune: Jacques Berthier  

Offertory: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. U2









During Communion: She's Got the Whole World in Her Hands Text: Traditional, Music: arr. Hezekiah Brinson, Jr. (BEAUTIFUL arrangement from Lift Every Voice and Sing II)

I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got. By Sinéad O'Connor (We do a simplified version with only 3 verses) 









After Communion: You Will Find Yourself. Composed by one of my third-grade piano students.

The time has come, for all to hear.
The songbirds calling, right in your ear.
Making a sunny day, right here.
And over again, you will find yourself.

Recessional: Joyful, Joyful 

As Natalie Sims points out in her blog Singing from the Lectionary sampling The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Give it Away could work. Some of the lyrics may not be appropriate, but some are spot on.

"There's a river born to be a giver
Keep you warm won't let you shiver
His heart is never gonna wither
Come on everybody time to deliver

Give it away give it away give it away now
Give it away give it away give it away now
Give it away give it away give it away now
I can't tell if I'm a king pin or a pauper"







Also wanted to share 3 great songs we used in the service last week.
One Day by Matisyahu. Our kids' music group led this one. 


Have a Little Faith by Michael Franti



All Creatures of Our God and King arranged by David Crowder. Our version was piano and mezzo-soprano. Gorgeous.









That's it for this week. We have a special service planned for All Saints', more on that soon.

Peace.

Comments